The Helmholtz Graduate School POLMAR provides a coherent framework for a well-structured postgraduate programme at the Alfred Wegener Institute (AWI). POLMAR is established as a transdisciplinary umbrella organization to combine high level science qualification in the various disciplines of polar and marine research with other key qualifications through joint seminars, lectures and practical training.
Together with the cooperating institutions we qualify a new generation of internationally competitive young scientists in the field of marine research with a focus on high latitude marine ecosystems and polar climate change. Doctoral candidates will be prepared for taking over leading positions in research, management and policy, technology development, or consulting and education.
Postgraduate education within POLMAR is structured systematically and adapted to the individual needs of the Ph.D. students.
Aims of the Graduate School
POLMAR aims to improve the qualification of the participating Ph.D. students and provide an optimal research environment towards their doctoral degree. To achieve these principle objectives the graduate school intends to:
- develop profound disciplinary knowledge and foster interdisciplinary thinking,
- apply knowledge to practice,
- build a strong personal career profile by defining professional goals and obtaining a broad range of work-related transferable skills,
- develop and support national and international networking,
- foster international awareness and visibility, and
- provide access to unique research infrastructure.